10.08.2006

What to Knit, What to Knit

It's that time again, folks: time to pick a new project to knit! This is quite the bittersweet task for me. I really enjoy revisiting all my old mags and pattern books, and all those patterns I mentally flag with "Someday I'm going to knit that." At the same time, though, this is quite a daunting task. I want to pick a project that a) I'm going to enjoy knitting; b) not going to break the bank; c) going to fit me well (if I so choose a wearable item); and d) I've wanted to knit for awhile. (D) especially because at times I can be impulsive and pick a project that I hate 50 rows into it. And, I'm sure there's an (e), (f), (g), etc., but those criteria are probably on a more subconscious level that I can't quite express.

Now, if I was a good knitty girl, I would stick to the projects that I should be knitting, such as my current design projects. But, you know, I always need a project I don't have to really think about. I need that project where I can just sit back, relax, and read the pattern.
So, here are the candidates thus far:


This cabled cardigan is from Vogue Knitting's Holiday 2004 Issue. Very pretty in purple, although I think I'd knit it up in a different color.


This cabled turtleneck is from Vogue Knitting's Fall 2006 Issue. It would be ready to wear just in time for the snow!


This cute little crocheted jacket is from Debbie Bliss's The Happy Hooker. I've wanted to crochet this baby since I laid eyes on it, but I'm not sure if this is the wrong time, wrong place - it looks a bit too springy for this fall weather.


And this cute bag is from another of Debbie Bliss's books, Stitch 'N Bitch Nation. This is another one I've wanted to knit up for awhile. I've never felted before, so it could be fun, but at the same time, it could be a pain. I live in an apartment with a laundry room - nasty quarter machines with not-so-great settings. So, I may have to felt elsewhere.

So, these are the runner ups. Not sure which one I'm leaning towards. Stay tuned...

No comments: